|By PR Newswire||
|May 22, 2013 08:01 AM EDT||
AUSTIN, Texas, May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Big Data cloud service provider Infochimps (Infochimps.com) announced today the release of "How to Do a Big Data Project," a step by step guide for large enterprises implementing Big Data projects. Recent research by Infochimps has shown that nearly half of all Big Data projects fail. With this new guide, now available for download, the company hopes to improve this success rate. Infochimps is offering insight into some of its own best practices for deriving business value from Big Data with an open-standards architecture and strategy, which it has honed working with some of the world's top companies.
Big Data: Boon and Bane of Enterprise IT
As Big Data sweeps the business world, there's broad consensus on its value, but no standard approach for following a project through from inception to completion. Research has shown that Big Data projects fail 30% more often than other IT projects. The often overwhelming abundance of tools and vendors, compounded by limitless potential use cases, can lead to decision paralysis. Furthermore, some companies mistakenly focus on technology rather than business objectives.
"We've successfully empowered a number of Fortune 1000 companies to increase their bottom lines with Big Data systems, and have done so at incredible speed," said Jim Kaskade, CEO, Infochimps. "We've accomplished this by combining the power of cloud as a delivery model with best practices presented in this guide."
"How to Do a Big Data Project" is designed to help companies: achieve a faster ROI; prove the value of Big Data internally; and scale to support more data sources and use cases. It dives into detail on the 4 key steps to successfully implementing a Big Data project:
Step 1. Select your business use case: clearly defined objectives drive business value
Step 2. Plan your project: a well-managed plan and scope will lead to success
Step 3. Define your technical requirements: ensure you build what you need to reach your objectives
Step 4. Create a "Total Business Value Assessment": take the politics (and emotion) out of the choices
Additionally, "How to Do a Big Data Project" will help CIOs tackle one of the biggest decisions faced at the start of an IT project: whether to build vs. buy. Further questions that this guide will help answer include:
- What is your Big Data project goal?
- What direction is your business headed with disruptive Big Data enablers?
- What are the obstacles to getting there due to immaturity of the technology and lack of resources?
- Who needs to be the key stakeholders and what are their roles?
- What is the right Big Data use case determined by key stakeholders?
- How do I determine the ideal project team?
- What are the Big Data-enabled success criteria?
- How do I define the technical requirements of the project?
- How do I assess 'total business value'?
With cloud-based deployments, time-to-insight can be as short as 30 days. Infochimps invites decision-makers to learn how to achieve Big Data value right away, starting by downloading "How to Do a Big Data Project" at http://bigdata.infochimps.com/how-to-do-a-big-data-project/.
Infochimps delivers Big Data systems with unprecedented speed, scale and flexibility to enterprise companies, providing insights in 30 days. Infochimps Cloud for Big Data is comprised of three cloud services which offer real-time processing and streaming, batch Hadoop, and ad hoc queries for actionable analytics. It is deployed in hybrid, private, virtual private and/or public cloud environments. With Infochimps, enterprises focus on solving business problems, not on managing complex infrastructure. Request a demo of Infochimps Cloud at www.infochimps.com/demo
- DevOps Loses Its Religion | @CloudExpo #AI #ML #IoT #FinTech #Blockchain
- Bad PR Might Sink #ArtificialIntelligence | @CloudExpo #BigData #AI #ML #DL
- Finding Transformational Success by Ignoring Labels | @CloudExpo #Agile #DigitalTransformation
- Digital Transformation: Not Because It’s Easy, But Because It’s Hard | @CloudExpo #IoT #M2M #AI
- Surviving #DigitalTransformation Fatigue | @CloudExpo #Agile #SOA #AI #ML
- Times of Digital Disruption | @CloudExpo #IoT #AI #ML #DigitalTransformation
- SOA Governance Best Practices – Architectural, Organizational, and SDLC Implications
- SOA Best Practices - Four Steps to Securing Your Web Services
- Katerina Moutsatsos, Kayikci and SOA World
- Cloud Expo New York Speaker Profile: Dave Linthicum – Cloud Technology Partners
- Why Are APIs So Popular?
- Why SOA Is a Good Fit for CRM Solutions
- Small Cancers, Big Data, and a Life Examined
- 1st Annual Government IT Conference & Expo: Themes & Topics
- ARM Server to Transform #BigData to #IoT | @CloudExpo #DigitalTransformation
- Service Versioning For SOA